The COVID-19 pandemic is now spread all over the world and some countries will be soon heavily impacted despite the youth of their population. Everywhere, towns and regions are at the forefront of this “emergency phase”: they are looking for solutions to help citizens getting protected against the virus, they need to ensure that the essential services continue to be delivered to the best standards, they do their best to make sure no one is left behind… But local and regional governments will also be critical over the coming weeks and months, during the “recovering phase”.
This global challenge calls for solidarity to leave no one and no place behind. Collaboration is essential, and learning from each other’s approach is crucial. Together with their associations, local and regional governments are exchanging their experience in dealing with the crisis. Their networks have also started to compile what towns, regions and their associations are doing all around the world.
PLATFORMA provided a very usefull overview of the different initiatives and locations of exchange. Please find it below:
- Association International des Maires Francophones (AIMF) : Dedicated webpage & Facebook
- Basque Country: Cooperation Agency, Euskal Fondoa and Basque NGDO communications:
- CLGF: Best practices from the Commonwealth
- Committee of the Regions: Exchange platform
- Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR): The list of Associations’ dedicated web pages in Europe and regular news
- Diputacio de Barcelona (DIBA): Strategy
- Fons Mallorquí: three emergency projects to reduce the effects of COVID-19 in southern countries
- GenCat: Measures adopted by the Catalan Government to face the COVID-19 pandemia
- International Urban Cooperation Programme (IUC): Statement
- United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG): Live Learning Experience #BeyondTheOutbreak
- UCLG, UN-Habitat & Metropolis: Cities for global health website
- UCLG CIB: Google drive to exchange
- UCLG Africa: Weekly press review
- VNG International: Resilience LSSP Albania in face of COVID-19
For more information on towns and regions’ take on the EU global response, check PLATFORMA’s reaction.