This year the Annual Meeting will kick-off on the 13th of September with a high-level policy dialogue on ''Inclusive and Resilient Decentralisation and Local Governance Reforms and Institutions’’ open to the public.
To register for the opening event, please click here.
The Development Partners Network on Decentralisation & Local Governance (DeLoG) will open this year’s Annual Meeting on Inclusive and Resilient Decentralisation and Local Governance Reforms and Institutions with a High-Level Policy Dialogue open to the public.
The 2030 Agenda calls for effective, transparent, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels (SDG 16) and encourages the creation of meaningful multi-stakeholder partnerships (SDG17). Its core principle of “Leaving No One Behind” guides actors and stakeholders involved in decentralisation and local governance (DLG) reform processes and in the localisation of the SDGs. The local level is crucial for addressing the challenges and opportunities of our time. The growing need for dialogue surrounding this subject is reflected in DeLoG’s Strategy 2021-2024.
Over the last few years, and especially since the outbreak of COVID-19, the environment and the global agendas on DLG have changed and adapted. DLG approaches are under pressure from social, economic, ecological and political challenges. The provision of equal and secure access to public services is a core responsibility of Local and Regional Governments (LRGs). Clearly defined functions and mandates as well as access to finance are necessary prerequisites to enable LRGs to fully meet their responsibilities.
This High-Level Opening event sets the scene for this year’s DeLoG Annual Meeting by providing room for policy dialogue among members and partners to exchange on their strategic shifts and priorities. The key question to be addressed will be how the support for inclusive and resilient DLG institutions is evolving in the face of current global challenges and what role partnerships and networks like DeLoG may play in future.
AGENDA - 13th of September, 2:30 pm - 4 pm CEST
02.30 pm CEST Welcome & Opening
02.40 pm CEST Donor Perspective
- Dr. Thomas Gass, Ambassador, Assistant Director General, Head South Cooperation Department, SDC, Co-Chair Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation
- Dr. Ingolf Dietrich, Commissioner for Sustainable Development, BMZ
- Alex Gerbrandy, Thematic lead Rule of Law, Inclusive Governance and Peacebuilding, MFA Netherlands
03.05 pm CEST Municipal Perspective
- Emilia Saíz, Secretary General United Cities and Local Governments
- Tatiana Badan, Mayor of Selemet, Moldova, President of the Network of Associations of Local Authorities of South-East Europe
- Hemanthi Goonasekera, Chief Executive Officer Federation of Sri Lanka Local Government Authorities
03.35 pm CEST Dialogue on the Future of DeLoG
03.50 pm CET Policy Implications & Concluding Remarks
- Peter Knip, Director of the International Cooperation Agency of the Association of Netherlands Municipalities& Chair of the Capacity and Institution Building (CIB) Working Group
To register for the Annual Meeting opening event, please click here.
The event will be held via the platform “Microsoft Teams”. In case of questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.