The COVID-19 global health crisis has provided a stark reminder of the important role local governments play in service provision at a city level; from basic education and healthcare access, to decent housing and effective public transport. And the pandemic has also underscored the capacity of cities to identify creative local solutions to global challenges, and to localize the SDGs and bring them to the people in the local communities. This session will serve to elicit an array of best practice approaches that local governments have taken to protect societies through the pandemic with a keen focus on the lessons learned for adaptive action towards the 2030 agenda and the SDGs. By bringing this localized knowledge to the fore of the discussion, the session can draw out transformative approaches and supercharge existing solutions to accelerate the efforts for a just and green recovery with the SDGs at its core.
- Dr. Mohamed Boudra, Mayor of Al-Hoceima, President of UCLG
- Wobine Buijs-Glaudemans, Mayor of Oss, member of the VNG Committee on European and International Affairs
- Thembisile Nkadimeng, Mayor of Polokwane, President of SALGA
- Manuel Araujo, Mayor of Quelimane, Mozambique and Africa Representative at ICLEI Global Executive Committee
- Mohamed Saadie, President of UCLG-MEWAPresident of Union of Dannieh Municipalities.
This session will be aired on UN TV (http://webtv.un.org/) on the 22nd of September, from 18:30-19:15 CEST, as part of the UN General Assembly.